Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our Spring Break Surprise

Emma has been asking to learn the piano, and with my mothers words still haunting my ears "one day you will regret it (quitting!)" The regret has now successfully surfaced, the yearning to hear the music in my home, and with Emmas desire Shiloh and I decided to buy a cheap but good piano. I've actually been looking for awhile, with no success. Then one day my friend Desiree McDowell called and the next thing I knew we were signed up for lessons and practicing at the church. (Cool little privilege of bearing the church keys!)
We earnestly started looking for a piano, and bought one on Wednesday from a little piano store in Phoenix who delivered it and tuned it for ONLY $50. It is a Acrosonic Baldwin Piano, and a perfect fit for my family. I didn't want anything that was new because I didn't want the stress with the little kids, yet I did want it to sound good. For Example: we had the piano for less than an hour and the bench got tipped over and one of the peddles scratched the top seat part and honestly it looks like a new scratch but it blends in nicely with the rest. Yet it is strong and sounds beautifully- and we have been practicing a lot the past 24 hours.
  • Emma gets so excited each week to go to Piano lessons and was the first one to sit at the piano with her piano book and start practicing and counting.
  • A really neat thing is Sean sat down at the piano and started playing with all his fingers no problem at all, he has always been musically smart so it will be interesting to see how his little piano career goes!
  • Ryan just loves banging away at the keys until Mom has enough and shuts the top.

PS: I was going to name this post "Newest Hoggard Addition," but decided that might be too much for some people. Although I thought it was funny. :)

8 comments:

Grandpas Cook said...

Awesome "addition".

Michelle said...

Yay! I hope you enjoy your piano!

Trezise Momma said...

I hope Emma loves her new piano, and that the boys take an interest as well. Will and I have also been talking about a piano and lessons for Landon. Looks like you got a sweet deal!

Michelle said...

I would love to run a half marathon with you Julie! I looked into the Disneyland one (how fun!) but it is on Sunday. :( Do you have any other ones you would like to run?

kj said...

Congratulations! What a fun spring break surprise.

fort mcdowell said...

Very nice. Make sure to practice sometimes (when Emma is at school, of course). I want to come hear how it sounds.

allison said...

way to go! what a great investment. i miss having desiree as my piano teacher. boo hoo.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

That is WONDERFUL!!! I swore I'd start my girls on piano lessons when they turned 5, but still haven't done it yet. I need to get crackin! I too was a quitter/regretter. =) My girls will have NO free agency on that matter--haha. =)