Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dead Horse Ranch State Park (Sep 20)

I would love to know the story behind the name of this national park! Anyways two weekends ago we got together with a whole bunch of other families and had a park day, we reserved a pavilion, and people brought canoes. We started at 11:00 (Shiloh had just returned from camping with the scouts) and we ate lunch and desserts, we went out on the water, went fishing, with a lot of visiting and playing. Unfortunately we had to leave around 1:30 because Ryan was so tired he was just miserable. It was a lot of fun, and we were really glad to go. Here are some photos thanks to Shiloh and to Sarah.
Sean playing in the water when he was suppose to be eating!
My first trip around the lake- Emma trying out rowing. The Bishop and I were praying we didn't tip over because we were going to have to calm down five nervous kids!
One of the times I canoed around the lake with only 4 kids this time!
This is what Ryan looked like most of the time, tired.
Emma's first attempt at fishing- go Emma!
Sean's first attempt at fishing- go Sean!
They didn't want to stop- fortunately they didn't catch anything. It sure was a fun day! Thanks to the Bliss' and the Trujillo families for the organization!
***The story behind the name: Calvin “Cap” Ireys purchased Dead Horse Ranch in 1950. “Cap” told State Parks Director Dennis McCarthy that his children named the ranch. The first time the family looked at the property, they saw a dead horse lying in the field, and after looking at a number of properties “Cap” asked them which one they liked the best. The answer was the one with the dead horse. After they acquired the property, they named it Dead Horse Ranch. THANKS FOR FINDING THE INFO MOM!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Sean and Emma are so cute fishing! Sounds like you guys had fun! Too bad Ryan was so tired.

Grandpas Cook said...

Sorry Julie. I decided to trash my original comment and reword what I wrote. It sounded awful.
Here goes:
What a fun day. Where there is water, there are kids. When I saw the fishing pictures I wondered who was going to bonk them on the head and clean them. You got lucky this time. Do you remember your first fish at Mirror Lake?

Dizzy Kate said...

Julie! I was so excited to get a message from Rachel telling me you have a blog! What a wonderful way for all of us to keep in contact! I would love to invite you to my blog except I don't have your email address. My email address is:

k_t_layton@yahoo.com

I can't wait to check your blog out and see your cute family.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

haha--i was going to tell you how it got it's name too, but it looks like your mom beat me to it (it was recently in the paper). Loved the pics--what a fun day!