Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Verde Valley Fire Station Open House

My children are huge "Firemen" fans so when I found out the fire station was having an open house I quickly put it on my calendar. I figured we would go, stay for awhile, and then skip out- because I didn't want to stay there for the whole two hours. Well- I was wrong! It was so cool that I was begging the kids to stay. When we pulled up they had "Sparky" the dog outside waving to all the kids, then they had hot dogs (Emma ate two) chips, cookies, water, and popcorn. We got to see a whole lot of booths. Then came the fun stuff! They had a brand new firetruck that hasn't even been used yet that we got to get in and look at. Emma and Sean got to wear the headsets so they could talk to each other- they thought that was pretty cool!
We then watched two firemen repel down the side of the station and then climb back up the ropes! Then we watched a puppet show where they taught the kids fire safety. My kids were all giggles! Who wouldn't laugh at a talking bird and a lady with bright pink hair.Then came my favorite part of the night. We watched three firemen take apart a minivan- COMPLETELY!!! They popped the tires, broke out the windows, and then showed us how the "Jaws of life" worked. SWEET! Then came the grand finally- they put flares into the van and watched it burn- once it was a huge fireball and we were feeling the heat (Emma hid behind me at this point) they turned on the hoses and put the fire out in about 15 seconds. It was amazing! So I ended up staying the full two hours- and we all loved every minute of it!!

4 comments:

Grandpas Cook said...

Julie, you are a fun mom. And most of the fun is educational. Good job.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oh that's so cool!! I forgot to put that on my calendar..so of course we forgot to go! I'm glad you all had fun!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

poor van!!!!

kj said...

Wow. I really missed a great event. I'll have to make a point of going next year. Your kids must have loved it!